While Baylor Female College and Baylor University were located in Independence, Texas, the publication of a paper represented the concept and work of the institutions. The first paper printed in the later part of 1882, “The Baylor Aegis,” was published jointly by the Literary Societies of the two schools. In addition to original essays, articles from art and literary journals were reported along with information about each college’s financial needs and funding. Poetry, student and faculty event news, and businesses advertisements were also included. Baylor University president, Dr. William Carey Crane, directed the university portion, and Baylor Female College president, Dr. John Hill Luther, supervised the sections contributed by the female students.